Direct Care Shift Supervisor
Whetstone Boys Ranch is a therapeutic boarding school serving boys ages 12-16 who need time away from their families in order to restore understanding and relationship. Situated near Mountain View, MO in the scenic Missouri Ozarks, Whetstone is a 285-acre working cattle ranch with a year-round school program, weekly therapy, outdoor adventure, community service, agriculture work, and a variety of other activities and opportunities. Whetstone has been open for 10 years and is growing rapidly. The Whetstone culture emphasizes a commitment to excellence, leading by example, and a willingness to sharpen and be sharpened. Currently, we are looking for someone to serve as full-time Direct Care Shift Supervisor (SS).
The SS is one of the most important roles at the ranch. The SS is responsible for leading evenings and weekends shifts and for ensuring the Whetstone program is upheld. The SS must work closely with the boys and other staff. He must lead the shift with energy, authority, and a willingness to share in relationship.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Create and maintain a positive and structured environment. You will be holding the residents accountable, but also sharing in relationship and mentoring them as they grow and progress through the program.
- Write the End of Shift (EOS) report after each shift, summarizing each resident’s behavior and other details worth noting from the shift.
- Ensure any medications have been properly administered to residents.
- Lead with energy. This requires focus, intentionality, and the willingness to “join in” and be an integral part of the program. You set the tone for your staff and the residents.
- Uphold and adhere to Whetstone’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure meals are prepared correctly and on time.
- Work 45 hours/week, with the majority of that being direct care.
Direct Care shifts are 6-8 hours long. During this time, you will supervise the boys and other support staff during free time, mealtimes, on and off-campus activities, and bed prep. You are responsible for ensuring the Whetstone program is being followed. This will include training your staff, holding the residents accountable through the giving of consequences and supervising consequence work time, following the schedule, and creating an environment geared toward growth, personal responsibility, and respect.
The Direct Care SS reports to the House Manager who oversees hiring and training direct care staff, managing scheduling, and ensuring the direct care shifts successfully follow the Whetstone program.
Full-Time Mentoring Specialist
The mentoring specialist’s responsibilities include but are not limited to monitoring the boys’ development and behavior as supervisor, educator, mentor and friend.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand, support and live the Whetstone Boys Ranch mission statement.
- Live in house with residents providing care for each of their specific needs, including but not limited to: food, clothing, safety, hygiene, structure and education.
- Work alongside and supervise residents during various work projects on and off the WBR campus.
- Model appropriate behaviors for residents with regards to relationships, self-respect and morality.
- Develop sincere and genuine mentor/mentee relationships with residents in care.
- Prepare meals, maintain cleanliness of house, supervise chores completed by residents, assist house parents with creation of monthly menu, purchase groceries, transport residents to Doctor or Counselor appointments and administer medications and first aid to residents.
- Conduct specific learning lessons such as: community service projects, field trips, chapel presentations, recreational activities, Bible studies, etc…
- Maintain all documentation and communication tasks as assigned by Executive Director.
- Document residents’ progress.
- Become familiar with Whetstone Academy as directed by Education Director. Be prepared to efficiently facilitate school day without presence of Education Director.
- Assist Executive Director by completing tasks assigned such as: marketing, financial management, filing, grant writing, etc.
- Work alongside Site Director to ensure resident compliance to program and policies as stated in Resident Manual.
- Assist Site Director as he completes maintenance projects, agriculture management and various new projects.
- Adhere to all WBR policies and procedures.
- Hold WBR residents accountable for their actions. Administer appropriate consequences for behavior infractions.
- Supervise shift workers on evenings and weekends.
- Responsible, teachable, hardworking and mature young man; 20-25 years old.
- Passion to serve youth.
- Experience with youth ministry/mentoring. (At-risk youth preferred.)
- Valid Driver’s License.
- State-specific Central Registry Child Abuse Clearance.
- Written agreement to one year service commitment
- Successful completion of TCI training and maintaining of updates.